David Park: A Painter's Life


I started reading the above book, David Park: A Painter's Life a couple of weeks ago and have had a hard time putting it down. At the same time, I don't want to rush through it because it is one of best artist's biographies that I have ever read. It definitely has earned a place on my already bursting book shelf. 

In David Park: A Painter's Life, you get a strong feeling of how Park was not only as an artist but also as a human being. He was well loved and appreciated by pretty much everyone who knew him (I'm on the chapter about his working "relationship" with Clyfford Still.) I'm about half way through the book and I can't stop thinking about both the book as well as Park's work. A Painter's Life is a book that I'd recommend to fans of Park's work (though they'd probably already have it) but also to those who know absolutely nothing about him (like I did until I picked the book up.) 

Next up, I'll be diving into Park's daughter's book, David Park, Painter: Nothing Held Back which is also supposed to be very good. 

My Summer of Matisse somehow morphed into My Summer of the Bay Area Figurative Artists. Funny how one segues into the other. Maybe it was because of this but it probably stemmed from seeing Matisse/Diebenkorn at SFMoma twice this year.

DAVID PARK, Painter. Nothing Held Back

Image result for david park drawings

Image result for david park

Image result for david park

Image result for david park

Image result for david park

Untitled, 1948

Untitled, 1949

above art by David Park




Comments

Popular Posts