Paint Markers and High Altitude


I've spoken a lot about my favorite paint markers over the years (yes, I'm looking at you water based Sharpies, Molotow and Montana markers!) I've suggested many times that when you first buy a paint marker that you should "burp" it to get the air flowing. Well, one thing that I could never figure out (and this has been happening for MANY years) is how to stop the paint markers from "throwing up" (or leaking) all over the place when one goes from low altitude to high altitude. 

Last week, one of my wonderful Colorado students suggested that before you use a marker that has gone from low to high altitude that you take a paper towel or rag, hold the pen tip up and press down on the nib once. This will get the air flowing throughout the marker. Yes, the pen will leak a little bit when you first do this but it stops immediately. Afterwards, as needed, shake and pump the tip on scrap paper before you  use it on your page. 

I hope that this helps you as much as it helped me! Just say no to leaky markers!

More on My Favorite Pens Here (lots of links!)
Derwent Graphik Line Painters

Comments

E. Cline said…
Great idea! I actually kinda like the "paint pen vomit" -- takes away my control and gets me outta the box.. on the airplane! :)
Anonymous said…
good to know
Unknown said…
Thank you so much 🥰
Thank you! Did you know that in 2022, you are the only person who has put a solution to this problem on the internet (at least that comes up in the google search results. Every other thing is a link to buy paint pens.) You are awesome!
Kelly Kilmer said…
@Sparkleblue Faery Thank you! Someone passed it on to me years ago. It helped TREMENDOUSLY. I'm glad I can pass it along!
Anonymous said…
Thank you thank you! My Posca pens arrived yesterday at our house at 9000 feet and I was distressed when the first 3 erupted everywhere when I tried to activate. Thanks for the solution!

Popular Posts