17 September 2014 Journal Page


The page above is huge and yet it still works using small images.  I pull them together by tying odd bits and pieces of paper together using snippets of stencils, color repetition, text and pattern around the page. It might not be the best thing I've ever made but it says exactly what I needed it to say at that moment in time.

When you're struggling with your work, step back and take a minute to really look at your piece. Ask questions but don't judge. Does the piece say everything that you need for it to say? What do you like about it? What don't you like? If there's something that you don't like, step back and look at the page from a distance. Turn it upside down and rotate it so your brain doesn't see the images but shapes, patterns and colors. Can you try pulling a color around the page or repeating a pattern? What about adding some different text in that blank little corner up at the top?  These are all questions that have gone through my mind at times as I make my pages. 

“I invent nothing, I rediscover.” -Auguste Rodin

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kelly:
This is a bit off topic....Would really appreciate learning about your art supply-related holiday wish list. I haven't bought art supplies in about a year, and am gifting myself $50-100 to spend at Dick Blick. Want to make the most of this art supply haul, and thought you would the perfect person to seek recommendations from. Hope you and your family have a joyous holiday season.

Popular Posts