A Day at LACMA with Stanley Kubrick

Kubrick on 2001
Saul Bass
Loved this quote
Kubrick's Chessboard
Kubrick on the Set of Barry Lyndon photo by Christiane Kubrick
2001 Clapboard
Props from Barry Lyndon
Extensive File Cabinet on Napoleon
2001 Baby
Special Camera Developed by NASA for Barry Lyndon and shooting in low light
A portion of Kubrick's library on Napoleon
Jack's Typewriter from The Shining
A Portion of the Poster Wall
More of the Napoleon File Cabinet
David Holding His Tickets
Between Kubrick, Caravaggio, the German Expressionists and the Surrealists, my head is going to explode (in a good way.) Do. Not. Miss. The. Kubrick. Exhibit. It exceeded the Tim Burton exhibit by far. You really get a feel for Kubrick and how he processed and developed his work.We're already talking about going back.

We were in the Kubrick exhibit for almost three and a half hours. The Surrealist exhibit is another one you could get lost in for hours. The Drawing Surrealism book is now on my wish list. We picked up the Kubrick catalog tonight. Another book for the bursting book shelves.

If you're a Kubrick or film nut, also check out The Academy's exhibit on Kubrick. It's free and is open every day except Monday.

I'll leave you with some of my favorite photos from the exhibit. I'm off to process everything and put my feet up!

 David has two posts of interest on Kubrick: 
Visual Motifs 
2001: A Space Odyssey and A.I.

Comments

ersimarina said…
I wish I could go to the exhibit, thanks so much for the details. Kubrick's quote reminded me of my email signature: 'first comes the feeling, the idea follows'. The heart must have the first saying...

Popular Posts