It followed me home today, seriously. His name is Winsome. Isn't he cute? I couldn't resist. I picked him up and put him down several times. I even bought a bunch of stuff and then left the store and came back *just for him*. He was made by a local So Pasadena artist.

Zinnia in Pasadena had a TON of cool things in there today...stuff like this:and stuff like this:
and more stuff like this:
and even MORE stuff like this:
and yup, this is from Zinnia too:
I *really* wanted to buy art from Joe Carrion who teaches and works at Zinnia. Joe has some of the most amazing canvases I have *ever* seen. I wanted all of them. Eeps! If you didn't know, Joe designed stamps for Stampers Anonymous. If you don't have them, you need them.

If you haven't been to Zinnia, you *need* to go. Tamara does the most amazing job not only filling the store but decorating it and making it an extremely open and welcome environment. I LOVE going there-it's one of my favorite home away from homes!!
I am still kicking myself for not bringing my camera today!! The store looked SO good (as always)!!

Zinnia
1040 Mission St
South Pasadena, CA 91030
(626) 441-2181

OH! And look what else arrived:

My Jet Pen Order! WOO HOO!! I LOVE my new pens. Thank YOU Kara K. for getting me into some serious trouble. I am very very happy with the pens I ordered. I tried 'em all out. The tips are smaller then the Glaze and Souffle pens (which I *heart* extremely much). I am seriously slapping my hand to avoid it from going to their website and buying even MORE pens in colors I don't have. I hate ordering online but oh I LOVE Jet Pens. Those Pilot Latte Pens are some seriously cool kick ass pens. (Um, I ordered 3 sets). I wish they came in black.

These are the pens I bought:

Pilot Latte Gel Ink Pen - 0.5 mm - White

Uni-ball Signo DX UM-151 Gel Pen - 0.28 mm - Black

Pilot Latte Gel Ink Pen - 0.5 mm - 10 Color Set

Uni-ball Signo Angelic UM-120AC Gel Ink Pen - 0.7 mm - Pink Ink

Uni-ball Signo DX UM-151 Gel Pen - 0.28 mm - Brown Black

Uni-ball Signo Angelic UM-120AC Gel Ink Pen - 0.7 mm - Red Ink

Uni-ball Signo Angelic UM-120AC Gel Ink Pen - 0.7 mm - Green Ink

Uni-ball Signo Angelic UM-120AC Gel Ink Pen - 0.7 mm - Yellow Ink

Uni-ball Signo Angelic UM-120AC Gel Ink Pen - 0.7 mm - White Ink

I think I am set for pens for life. I am banned from any stores until my credit card recovers from these last two adventures.

*****

In other news, Tristan's dentist appointment was today. Well, what I found out was part ONE of THREE dentist appointments. Huh? I guess this is a "new thing" 'cause I have never heard of this before. It's got to be one of the stupidest trends I have ever heard of. I take Tristan out of school early to go to the dentist. We arrive nice and early so I can fill out the appropriate paperwork. At 3 on the dot, Tristan's name is called. We go into a room and the assistant tells me they are going to take X-Rays today and starts filling out a card. She gives me the card and it says "EXAM" on it. She tells me to take the card to the front and make the appointment for next time. My reaction is "Huh?" and I wink at Tristan and walk to the front desk. I give the woman the card thinking it will be for a follow up in 6 months. She says I have two dates to pick. Um, ok. February whatever and February whatever. What?? I say. Well, she tells me that today they do the x-ray. Next time is the exam. Then there is a third appointment for cleaning or fillings. I feel my blood pressure start to boil (it's been ready to burst the last couple of days). "WHAT?" I say again. She repeats. I ask her what happened to having everything done in ONE visit. I tell her I had to pull him out of school early just for this appointment. I ask her what with kids do who have 9 to 5 jobs? *sigh* Nothing I said mattered. We are scheduled for part Two and Three next month. No dentist was seen today. Nada on the braces. Tristan's dental insurance sucks (I am thankful though that he has it-for now...He's the only one in our family of 3 that does have it.). The plan that he has-there aren't any kids' dentists...except for this one and every one we've seen I haven't been happy with. See why it's stupid things like this that just make me bang my head against the wall and pull a Nancy Kerrigan.

Off to find a happy place! Looking forward to meeting up with one of my Fort Collins buds, Venita tomorrow! I LOVE the Fort Collins Gang!!!!

Comments

Dawn D. Sokol said…
I Heart Jet Pens! They rock! I have to try those Latte pens... :)

Dawn
dblogala.typepad.com
Anonymous said…
3 visits?
That's insane.

Go find another dentist that knows how to do the exam and x-rays and cleaning/fillings in ONE.

Who in the hell has the time to drive out for 3 god damn visits at the dentist?
My GOD.
No wonder people hate the dentist.

Sorry.. I have dental issues.
Tara's Art Camp said…
I just love seeing what you have found. You are good advertising for these comapnies. Have you ever thought to ask them for freebies, in return you would market them to your art friends on the world wide web. Love your book recommendations,,, keep them coming!!! One can never own too many books.

Tara
~jolene said…
Things that follow you home, like Winston, that do not have to be fed are fine ;-)

So many goodies to ohhh and ahhh over...you may have to begin these posts with a disclaimer...."warning:excess eye candy!"
BellaKarma said…
Ohmygod! I am so jealous of everything you bought at Zinnia's!!! And look at those cheap prices!!!! Now if I just didn't feel like Pasadena is at the ends of the earth!

Sorry to hear about the insane scheduling. I know I bitch a lot about living in Newport Beach, but fortunately the customer service is Outstanding at Marissa's orthodontics! They bend over backwards to fit us in whenever we need to be seen, especially expectantly.
BellaKarma said…
Duh, I meant "unexpectantly."
Anonymous said…
Just thinking... if you didn't spend so much on paper and pens you might be able to move out of that place you complain about. or you might have good insurance. acting helpless about your "situation" doesn't change anything. changing your behaviour does.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Hey Anonymous-

Hmm...Why don't you have the courage to actually sign a name to your comments?

Hmm...I'm an ART teacher which means I need ART SUPPLIES to teach the ART classes that I do. Sheesh. What part of that don't you get? 99 % of what I BUY ends up being used for CLASSES so get a CLUE.

I'm not acting helpless. I'm not helpless. I work pretty damn hard and I Love what I do. You have NO clue about MY life. I have some assumptions about YOURS, though.

Next time have the balls to sign a name to the email. IF you don't like my blog, don't read it.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Tasha,

LOL! I have dental issues too.

Tristan actually has great dental insurance with the tiny exception that the plan he is on (some major plan I am too lazy to look at the card now) doesn't have any kids' dentists to choose from except this one. The last dentist he had really irked me (he saw him for 1 second and the dentist said "he needs braces" and left-um, duh)and I thought we'd try this one again.

We went to this dentist YEARS ago when he was little at a different location and loved it. I just have never heard of this practice before of 3 separate visits. I brought it up because the area that the dentist is in is primarily low income and it doesn't make sense for low income people to have to trek to the dentist and miss work not one but three times-it's hard for most of us to miss work but people who are especially hurting, that does not make any sense...

Now that being said, we do love this doctor/dentist office as when we went here years ago every time I phoned they KNEW who Tristan was immediately and actually CARED as opposed to what I call the $50 handshake which is how most doctors have treated us...

I just thought it was weird and am wondering if it is a new insurance thing or if it is just something with this dentist near downtown L.A.

We will soon find out! His next appointment is in a month.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Hi Tara-

I've thought of writing to companies (and in the past I have received some stamps very generously from Postmodern Design, Paperbag Studios, Acey Deucy and some from Green Pepper Press). All of the things I use in class (and for myself), I buy. I've thought often of trying to "work" with companies but my thing is-I really have to LOVE something to use it and recommend it in classes and workshops. I love free stuff but if I don't like it and people want me to recommend it, it's not the best situation...
SO all of the stuff I am buying goes towards my classes and workshops that I am teaching in some way, shape or form...and if I don't like it, it doesn't get recommended or used in classes ;) Some places just wouldn't like me for that... LOL

I never think of what I do as advertising. It's not my thing. I just talk about what I like..as Vincent Price said "I like what I know" and I gotta use it and know it to like it! :)
Shoshanah said…
commenting as requested! sometimes i have to do it as anon (when google hates me and won't let me log on), but i think i always sign my name.

dentists are evil. i used to work for one. i should know. ; )

shosh

ps jet pens kick some serious biscuits! evil kelly who must be stopped! oh, but not until after i go shopping with you in feb. pah-lease be evil then!

shosh
Erin said…
Anonymous,
If you don't like what she has to say, stop reading the blog! Otherwise, keep your opinions to yourself.
Erin
Anonymous said…
You can't blame me for the problems you have with your pens, although if you want to try to work out these issues in therapy...

I so love jetpens, I was waiting to see if they sent another coupon this month before I bought more of the Lattes and some signos...but no such luck...
BellaKarma said…
Hey Kelly,

I just wanted to drop you a quick note of support. I have NO DOUBT that you've worn your bra to threads so that you could buy Tristan toys for Christmas and things he needs. You buy BOOKS, NOT DRUGS - you're not putting Tristan is harm's way! And if anon really thinks that an extra $100 saved a month from not buying books is going to make a difference in today's rent prices, then Anon is obviously one of those Real Housewives of Orange County (and I'll be sure to bitch-slap any of 'em when I see 'em, just in case).

xo
Jill
Sweet Petunia said…
Oh..these look great. I ordered some and can't wait to get them in the mail. Reading your blog is dangerous...so many good reviews. I find myself needing things I didn't know I needed.

Popular Posts