I'm getting ready to leave for Northern CA to teach at Sanctuary Studio in San Anselmo. I'll try to update the blog before I go but I can't promise that I'll be able to do so!!

The most recent journal page-using rub ons (Hambly), stickers (Chronicle), white sharpie poster paint pen (waterbased), acrylics, and a picture of little Kelly! Tristan and I have been reading
Howard Zinn and Rebecca Stefoff's "A Young People's History of the United States: Volume 1 Columbus to the Spanish-American War" (There's also a second volume that covers "Class Struggle to the War on Terror"). It's interesting as the book begins with Columbus-the real story of Columbus. It's very interesting that Tristan is just starting "Social Studies" at school at the same time and they're learning about-Columbus. This page pretty much talks about Tristan's experience with raising his hand and telling the teacher what he knew about the "Indians" and Columbus. I'm very happy that he actually raised his hand and tried to answer something in class ('cause when I was a kid my hand was always down!! I did not like talking in class). I'm irked that the teacher said "I don't believe you." instead of trying to engage him in a dialogue. Oh, but wait, this is school and I guess we're just teaching them to sit down, shut up and do what they're told to do. *sigh* Frustrating, indeed!

A page I painted over the weekend-scrubbing acrylics with a paper towel. I love the page on the right how it looks like a shadow of a person..hmm..wonder what I will do with that one.
I started reading The Magical Life of Long Tack Sam last night. I'm a 1/3rd of the way through it and I love it! I had a hard time putting it down last night. Anna Marie Fleming's way of writing is just comfortable-like she's talking to a friend about her Great Grandfather. It really does read almost like a journal at times. I love the combination of illustrations, photographs, stills, and more as you learn the story of Long Tack Sam and his Great Granddaughter's quest to find out all she can about him. There's also a film (which I haven't seen yet but hope to do so once I finish the book!)
*****

I've written about the Jena 6 on the blog before. Democracy Now covers more of the story today and the walkout that is scheduled for October 1st.

Comments

Shoshanah said…
omg -- the teacher's response is NOT okay. ugh -- i'm enraged for you! good for T to speak his mind.
Katxena said…
I'm so sorry about your son's teacher. What a terrible message to send to a child (at the very least, the teacher could have said "I'm not sure if that's right" rather than implying he was lying!! that's terrible). He is very lucky to have you as a mom, to broaden his horizons.
&rew said…
I am glad to see that T is brave enough to question the historical "facts". Despite the fact that I'm over fifty years old, I am still learning the hard truth about the past (and present). I believe that the teachers' job is to provide the tools to listen, think, collect and analyze the information presented to them instead of shoving any information (truths, fallacies, junk, pertinent, trivial or anything)down the students' throats and expect them to blindly memorize them without questioning them.
Maija said…
Isn't the book a biography of sorts? Based on the author's family history?
Fuck the teacher - they are just dumbing down the kids to the lowest common denominator, rather than instill a joy for learning.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Hi Maija-Yes, The Magical Life of Long Tack Sam is based on the author's great grandfather. I LOVED the book. I can't wait to see the film!

Popular Posts