From The Shelf:


Tomorrow I am leaving for Danville to teach at The Stampers Warehouse (can't wait!) Each day while I'm gone, I'll be posting one of my favorite books (and why I love it-blah blah blah). (If I can't post from where I am, it might be either David or Tristan "ghost posting" for me!! But there will be something new daily so please check back).

I'm going to open the week with James Jean's Process Recess. Amazon has it listed now for $128. Look around as you can still find a copy of it at the original cover price.. I've seen them at Meltdown Comics and Hi De Ho Comics in Santa Monica in the last few weeks, I think. According to Jean's blog he has is hard at work on a second volume that will debut this summer at Comic Con (yay!)

The size of this book is perfect. It's like you are holding someone's personal sketchbook/catch all in your hands. It's small but chunky. It's PACKED full of art: watercolor, collage, sketching, writing, doodling...I LOVE this kind of book. It's a peek into his process, his head, his way of thinking and translating it to the page. It's one you can look at again and again. It's also cool 'cause at the end he lists what he uses (specific colors, brands, etc...) giving away "his secrets" that some screwy artists (NOT him) don't ever want to divulge!!! I am eagerly awaiting PR2. In the meantime, you can find his artwork at this site.

*****
Great youtube video that sums up what I feel on creativity. Thanks Linn.

*****
Schools refusing free copies of the classics??!?!!

Comments

Zorana said…
What an amazing video about creating! Thank you for sharing the link. I will meet you in Danville on Saturday. Can't wait!
Anonymous said…
Have a great trip Kelly. Looking forward to more book reviews. Thank you.
I have this one... it rules! I love his line drawings and the meandering quality to the images... something I aspire to in my journals. :)

Cheers,
Adriane
Kelly Kilmer said…
Adriane, your work stands on it's own-it's frickin' amazing!

Popular Posts