What's in your art bag a.k.a. How I store my stuff:





Angie in AZ asked me how I store my papers. I shot a couple of pictures (see above) of what one of my bags looks like. This is a good size bag (not too big, not too small) that my good friend, Tammie Moore gave me for Christmas.

Here's what I do-

Whenever I go to the paper store (or ANY store that has paper that I "must" buy) I ask them not to ROLL the paper but to FOLD it (unless it's a ton of paper like when I have a second to get over to the The Paper Studio in AZ later on this month for my FUN weekend of teaching at The Frenzy Stamper in Scottsdale-I can't wait to see Debbie & the Gang at Frenzy!!!!) then we just roll it.

When I get home (or whenever I can asap) I will cut the paper (using a metal ruler) into quarter sheets. (My only exception is if I think I'm going to cover a book with the paper, then I will only cut the paper into 1/2 sheets instead of quarters). This is a great exercise to get you to use all of that precious paper that you are saving for some unGodly reason!! :) USE THAT PAPER! Ya bought it, USE IT!

I have 3 "cases" of paper at home. One is a canvas bag that folds flat (when not in use) that I keep all of my handmade/decorative/want to use soon papers in. I put the papers in there not 'stacked' but sideways almost like using the bag as a "file" so I am 'filing' my papers. I don't sort by color, text or any nonsense like that! I also have a skinny pink suitcase that stands up (Mom bought it for me at Stampers Warehouse two years ago. Thanks Mom!). The pink "Barbie bag" (as I call it) holds a lot of my "found papers" or printed papers, postcards, photos and the like for journal/collage work. I also have a medium size square case (that used to hold a sewing machine) that I found down in San Diego with my friend Diane Salter. This bag also holds a stash of various papers. Every now and then I go through and have a "paper day". I'll sort through my papers and kinda rearrange what I have. It's fun finding 'new' papers that you 'forgot' you had.

I don't sort by color or anything special like that. I find it very difficult for me to work like that. What I do though is to keep my color copied images (the ones I carry with me to use in class, at home, whatever) in a plastic ziploc bag (a BIG one) this way I can rifle through it and grab what I want. If I have "strips" or torn pieces of paper in various sizes, I will put those in a different ziploc bag. I'm more inspired to have a bunch of papers arranged erratically (with no order or thought in mind) then I am if everything is sorted neatly. I like to have "aha!" moments where I find papers that I didn't think would 'go' together next to each other.

When it's time for me to sit and make a collage, very rarely do I start with something in mind. The only exception (usually) is if I am sitting down to 'vocalize' (with my art) something that I want to "say". (Soooo if I hear something on the news or read something in a book or have something happen to me during the day), I will "Journal" or "collage" about it. Usually what I do is to start by going through and 'digging'. I will pull out a small assortment of papers in different colors-things that appeal to me. Then I start by tearing them up and arranging them on the page. Then I will find focal images and things to bring the piece together. I also like to draw, write, doodle, stamp on the pages as well...

**********************************
“Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.”-Howard Zinn

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kelly,
Snap a pic of the outside of that bag! Looks very intriguing... Amy in Austin who's not gotten much art done lately.

Popular Posts