Best Pizza in Los AngelesSomeone said to me once, "You guys don't go out to eat, right?" Oh no!! We go out (at least once a week) but 99.9% of the time it's for PIZZA. My "boys" are picky in what they eat and try (I am too, but at least I'm willing to try new things!)

My husband thought it'd be a good idea to post our favorite pizza joints on the blog. I would LOVE to hear what places YOU recommend though ok?

I found this blog too on food in L.A.

In no particular order:

Palermo's Ristorante Italiano- the thought is making my mouth water!!!
1858 N Vermont Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90027
(323) 663-1178
Mon 11am-11pm;
Wed-Sun 11am-12am
(They are closed on Tuesdays, and every year they take two weeks off during the summer so phone first!!)

Joe Peeps-this place is my husband's FAVORITE. I always feel like I've gained 10 lbs but the pizza is damn good! (I like to look at the receipts from the Post Office on the wall from people on the East Coast and elsewhere who've spent a mint overnighting pizza from this place. HA!)
12460 Magnolia Blvd (Cross Street: Whitsett Avenue)
North Hollywood, CA 91607-2451
(818) 506-4133


Tony's Bella Vista Ristorante-The sauce is just amazing!
3116 W Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA
(818) 843-0164

Abbot Pizza
1407 Abbot Kinney Blvd (Cross Street: California Avenue)
Venice, CA 90291
(310) 396-7334

Mulberry Street Pizza
240 S. Beverly Drive
Beverly Hills
(They also have 2 other locations)

Buca di Beppo
We've tried the one in Pasadena and Santa Monica

There's a place near Monrovia, if not in Monrovia, that we have been to twice (and I can't remember the name of it) but the crust is made from corn flour. It is *so* good...if I can find the name I'll letcha know, it's been awhile since we've been...

We tried a place recommended in LA Weekly last week as one of the *best* pizza (or Italian) restaurants. We wanted to got here SO badly that we spent 2 hours trying to find the damn place on Monday only to get there and find it was closed. SO then the husband decided (This is how badly he wants this pizza), let's go there on Valentine's Day. Soooooo we trek back to Eagle Rock and visit some of the local shops (cute but out of our budget :( )...We get to the pizza place 15 minutes early before it opens. We sit in the car and at 4, get out of the car and walk over to the restaurant. There's a huge line!! (There wasn't anyone there 15 minutes ago). We get a table and we're drooling hungry and waiting! We ordered a large cheese pizza with whole wheat crust. 20 minutes later it comes out and the waitress puts it down and the edges are BLACK and burned to a crisp. My hunger level just hits rock bottom. Ugh. VERY disappointed. I've had burnt pizza before (I don't know why a restaurant would serve burnt pizza VERY disappointing when they do that). Any ways, I should know by now not to listen to the reviews in LA Weekly. Most of the folks around us were eating non pizza items...I couldn't believe how many people were in the joint.

What's YOUR favorite SO CA Pizza place? Please post!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Abbot Kinney is good - but not close to my house.

I'm still trying to find the ultimate thin crust pizza.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Mulberry Street has really good thin crust...yum. Unless you get Sicilian of course (ha ha ha)
T2 said…
Z Pizza - Their Southwestern and ZBQ pizzas are my faves.
T2 said…
Z Pizza

Okay, so it's not yer traditional tomato based pizza, but dammit, I love their Southwestern and ZBQ pizzas, baby.

Thin crust? CPK's Margharita pizza is hard to beat if you want cracker-thin crusts.
Diana said…
Hands down, it's Casa Bianca Pizza (http://casabiancapizza.com/) in Eagle Rock at 1650 Colorado Boulevard! I also really like Caioti Pizza Cafe, 4346 Tujunga Avenue, Studio City (http://www.caiotipizzacafe.com/). They invented BBQ chicken pizza, btw.

For interesting non-traditional pizzas, I think the Royal Clayton Pub in downtown Los Angeles is great -- their proscuitto and goat cheese pizza is terrific! They're at 1855 Industrial Street (immediately west of Mateo St) - they have a website, but my browser won't display it, so here's an alternative: http://www.yelp.com/biz/m-3bT-MCr7gWm0AbyuHqUQ
Kelly Kilmer said…
Ha! Diana, Casa Bianca is the place that I was talking about where we drove and drove and drove to find on Monday (it was the only page we were missing from our Thomas Guide and I didn't know how to get there from Old Town Pasadena...) I know NOW though LOL
BUT I was so disappointed going back there on Tuesday. The crust was burned BLACK. UGH. The top part tasted just like a Celeste pizza-frozen and then cooked in my microwave :(

I like Caioti pizza too!!
Hmmm... notice a trend here? Italian! I had (a very late) dinner at the Restaurant at the Chateau Marmont and the food was *fabulous*! It wasn't "economy" dining though... another restaurant of the same "caliber" that I've had some good eats at is Le Giraffe, on Santa Monica Blvd. (their website: http://www.jirafferestaurant.com/).

Oh... in Irvine there's a place by UCI called Cafe Britta... Mmmm... the petite filet sampler is wonderful!

Sure there a bunch more, but these ones I've sampled... :)

Cheers,
Adrine
Oh... as far as pizza is concerned? We loooove First Class Pizza (just plain pepperoni & cheese is yum!).

Cheers,
Adriane
suzi finer said…
stone fire pizza on La Cienega (1/2 price between 4-7pm) crisp but not burnt, real ingredients, savory flavory greatness: the perfect pie! Kids agree.
done.
Diana said…
Kelly, I'm so sorry you had a bad experience at Casa Bianca, but give it another try -- you can see from the lines out the door that they are a beloved place, and with good cause. I'd have sent that burned pizza back, but you probably had Tristan with you and kids aren't patient about food, I know!

Next time you're in Pasadena, you might check out Avanti Italian restaurant at Lake and Union, right south of the 210 freeway -- great pizza and salads!
Kelly Kilmer said…
We also tried Stone Fire Pizza on La Cienega on Monday night. Blech!
No tomato sauce on the pizza. Oil instead-YUCK!!
Tristan (who isn't a huge tomato sauce fan but will still eat it anyways) thought that their 4 (or was it 5?) cheese pizza was nasty. I thought he was just being a pain in the ass, so I tried it. He was right. David and I tried a cheese pizza with tomatoes on it-not great for that kinda $$. Plus they're individual pizzas that are as much as a whole pie at some places (unless you go from 4 to 7 and "some" of their pizzas are on 1/2 price...not the "deep dish" though).

Casa Bianca reminded me of a "frozen" "Celeste" style pizza.
Diana said…
The Royal Clayton Pub's pizza's are oil only, too, but they will put tomato sauce on them if you ask -- fair warning!

Popular Posts