Musings...Ponderings...Many thoughts are going through my head today. High/low day, you know what I mean?

Any ways, the first image (Krishna is by an artist named Jamini Roy). It was created in 1956 and it was on Antiques Roadshow on PBS Monday night. I went nuts when I saw it and if you google Jamini Roy you will see lots more of his artwork. Amazon doesn't have any books available currently with his art, but I am on the lookout for some.

The second image is the cover of a book called Into The Nature with a ton of variety of images...I love this book and for $20 used, I had to have it! Bills Schmills! I love the variety of graphic design books that are available lately. Lots and lots and lots of them-oodles it seems. I am a book fiend. I love finding new books that I am lusting over at used book stores.

Gene de Chene 11556 Santa Monica, 2 blocks east of Barrington, West L.A. is one of my favorite sources. I probably shouldn't give it away (hee hee) but I want the small indie bookstores to stay alive. I've been in L.A. for 11 years now and we've lost a TON of small bookstores in that time period. My second fave source for used bookstores is right up the street - Alias Books 1650 Sawtelle Blvd, West L.A., 310-473-4442 which is on the same road that Cinefile video is on (near the Nuart). My third favorite bookstore is Other Times Books 10617 W Pico Blvd - Los Angeles, CA 310-475-2547.

So now you know what my weekly haunts are...Make sure you say "hi", leave some books for me...and check back often as I like to showcase my fave finds every now and then...You could always share and post what your favorites are...hint hint...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kelly:
Thank you so much for the referrals to these bookstores. I live in Northern CA, but am thinking of moving to LA. Like you, I am concerned about keeping indie bookstores in business, so I appreciate knowing where to find these special places. Thank you too for the book reviews; I just received the Nuno Valerio
book and am really enjoying it. I looked at the catalogue link that you provided for this book;the publications looked very intriguing. Did you end up buying any other publication from the Rojas (I believe) publishers? If you have, I'd appreciate your review; I am tempted to try another purchase, but the books are pricey, and I am trying to go slowly.

I just went to the SFMOMA store and liked Robin Khan's new book "Art Guide for the Intelligent Woman". The book retails for about $16. She is a conceptual artist in NYC;she altered a small paperback with interesting collage bits from several sources. The book is a lot more minimal than the standard altered book these days, but I thought her minimalist style was interesting and original.

Thanks for sending me Taryn's email at Teesha's. I have not heard back from taryn yet...and I am dying to read Teesha's latest issue.

I love your blog and read it daily.
Take care,
Muki
mukijl@aol.com
Hi! Your referrals make me wish I lived in LA again! I miss the variety-Asheville has a few good book dealers, but can feel pretty picked over. I like the painting, i plan to look the artist up and see what i can find. Thanks!
Kelly Kilmer said…
Update October 2007: Sadly, Other Times bookstore in West L.A. is now closed...

Popular Posts