So far, today is an extremely lazy day...I slept (ok, stayed in bed) til 11:30!! Tristan woke me up at 8 taping "Batman", but I just kinda tossed and turned for another 3 + hours after that. Running around town with my Mom wore me out!
Yesterday we started our day (after taking Tristan to school *and* fighting at 7:15 in the morning WHY my Mother went right into the shower when MY alarm clock went off knowing full well that I need to get Tristan to school before 8:15 *sigh*) at "Susina's" on Beverly in L.A. (near La Brea). It's an amazing bakery...Mom had a tea and a chocolate chip/cherry scone (which she kept telling me an hour later that she didn't like it with the cherries as she sat and picked them out of her teeth *sigh*) I couldn't find anything "breakfasty" that I wanted to eat so we then went to the Bagel Broker on Beverly (near Fairfax) where I walked in to find my onion bagel (with cream cheese) and Barqs root beer all ready to go. Scary world, huh?
Had to take the car in for a smog check. It failed miserably. The friggin' check engine light has been on FOREVER. We get the car serviced, the light is off, we drive away from the service station and the damn thing pops on again...I pointed out (sweetly, batting my eyes) to the "by the books" man at the shop that my check engine light was on the last time I was here and that it is always on no matter what I do. He proceeded to give me the name of a "good mechanic" *sigh* (no luck...and I've been to that mechanic and he's NOT good). Any ways so if anyone in MY area (We Ho) "knows a guy" (ok, too many old time radio shows-Elliott Lewis refernce from the Phil Harris show "I know a guy...") -IF anyone knows a LEGIT GOOD mechanic in We Ho, please let me know! LOL! I need to pull money out of my butt and get my car fixed, pass the smog check and get my sticker before the end of March.
So with my day starting off like that, we then proceed to try to find the Monastery of the Angels in Hollywood. This is the place Carol Parks recommended for nummy chocolate covered marshmallows. My Mom is navigating. I'm driving. Well, somehow, I screwed up and decided that the street name where the Nuns live is "CARMEL" and not "Carmen" (chocolate covered BRAIN, I guess). We drove by it gleefully...I then noticed three "bookstores" on Franklin that I have yet to visit (next time! Mom is NOT into bookstores)...We finally turned around, found it, parked on the street. Mom & I figured out where the entrance was, buzzed the buzzer and waited. I could hear two women talking behind the iron gate as we waited...trying to figure out why they wouldn't let us in. They FINALLY let us in...where we were FOLLOWED (literally the friggin' woman was standing ON TOP OF me several times) by a woman who watched our every move. I really want to send them a letter saying that between my Mom & I we have enough Catholic schooling to qualify us for Nun hood, cripes!!! I was so mad. I'm sorry. I'm not going to steal a $.75 medallion. I'm here to GIVE you money FOR CHOCOLATE!! I was pissed. Any ways, we left with one box of the Marmels (choc covered marshmallows). We did catch sight of one nun (unfriendly -so what else is new..I guess they're not from the Sisters of Notre Dame...who are some of my favorite nuns...) ;)
Mom insisted that I bless myself with the "holy water" they had outside the chapel and then proceeded to call me an agnostic when I wouldn't. *sigh* I was waiting for her to call me a heathen LOL
Well, flash forward 10 minutes later and the whole box of marmels is gone between the two of us (that's 10 or 11 candies). One trip to Starbucks (iced teas) later, we were full. LOL
Walked around Beverly Hills (I don't GET it!!), found a skirt for $15 at the "all things $15 or less shop (Mom kept saying "I can't believe Beverly Hills lets this store be here...) I picked up two pieces of glassine at Paper Source...Mom found a tiny present for my sister and her wedding-it's funny but I can't post it here til after Mom gives it to her...
Picked up the kiddo at school and drove to Pasadena. First stop-one of my fave stores, Zinnia in So Pasadena (www.zinnia.biz)
where Tamara spent time telling me all about CHA and the new "toys" she is bringing into the shop, pointing out the luscious new fixtures and displays she has in the store (I LOVE LOVE LOVE the design of the store), showing me the new Stampers Anonymous images (I was trying to restrain myself from buying them all!!), and booking class dates with me for April, May & June (we're going to be doing some week day classes there-yay!) The rest of the day was spent at the park near Fair Oaks and then at the Cheesecake factory that night (no dessert for us :)-too many marmels). I managed to go to Paper Source in Pasadena as well (I was VERY good, didn't spend any $)..bought the new Watercolor Magic at Barnes & Noble...
One of the other highlights of the day, was my trip to the Folk Tree (& their store next door) to see the Valentine Show. OMG! It is a MUST see-Both the Folk Tree & their location two doors down, are filled with amazing artwork celebrating Valentines Day. The show runs til Feb 18th, I believe, and it is not to be missed. I really enjoyed it and am hoping to go back before it closes. I *always* love visiting both of the stores. Since I'm a little broke, I could only get two pieces of handmade paper with milagros images on them, Suzi Finer in Bev Hills used to carry the papers and I'm so happy that I have been able to find them elsewhere since she closed her doors :(
Any ways, it was a crazy day but fun one yesterday...
Today is the lazy day. David and I are going out tonight (yay! date night) and we are hoping to eat at one of our fave locations on La Brea (I don't know the name of it-will post it later) and then to go see "Why We Fight" at the movies...

Comments

Popular Posts